Monday, July 30, 2012

A Bug Bit Me and said Screenprint

And screenprint I did. It only takes a few free wood frames to kick my screenprinting binge I guess. Thanks to my boyfriend's mom destashing, I felt compelled finally to purchase a staple gun and some organza (proper screen fabric replacement) and assembled 6 new frames today =) Let it be noted that working with duct tape for a couple of hours really starts to hurt your fingers - the adhesive on that crap is no joke.

Photobucket

Here's a test print I made to see how well the organza works. The pigment is a bit thick on the fabric, more so than I'm used to but considering I went the cheap route rather than buying proper screenprinting fabric I'm happy with it. AND it was in the remnant bin at Joanns and cost me a $1. Win.

Photobucket

Then after testing the screen, I decided to play with my old flamingo screens =) I'm not so happy with the color combo that turned out, that orange kind of looks like vomit in one of those pictures...but its not bad. I'm going to dig through my closet to see what clothes I can come up with to sacrifice for some screenprinting fun.

Anyway progress on the flamingos for fun. You can observe that when it's not a specific project and I'm just playing around, I am lazy and don't iron. Pfft, the wrinkles create unique prints anyway.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And what's even more exciting!! Now that I have a bunch of new frames to play with, I started a new print with a drawing I did from my life drawing class....well part of it. This won't be the whole thing...

Photobucket

Photobucket

Depending on if there's any interest I might try putting some screenprinted clothes in my shop...We'll see ;)

3 comments:

  1. You clever thing!! I never would have thought you could make a whole screen printing set up for $1!! Nice! Love the flamingos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited to see more of your screen printing =)looking good so far. you can buy the screen mesh quite cheap on ebay if the organza doesnt work out, and as you're doing waterbased stuff you dont need a very high mesh count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lime - thanks! I feel pretty clever since so far the organza is working pretty well =)

    Nelly - Whenever I think of screenprinting now I think of you and your awesome carousel horses etc lol. I wish I had more of a professional set up, and a better registration system than "eyeball and pray" haha, but I'm excited to be printing again.

    Thanks for the tip on where to find mesh! I looked at dickblick and dharmatrading but it was way expensive and you had to buy a ton at a time. I'll check out ebay.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...